Hempy Buckets: A Safe and Simple Alternative for the Disabled Grower
Well now that I am struggling my good friend and grow mentor reminded me of these...I had to do some refresher work but realized these could be a good middle-ground between struggling with a bigger system and giving up everything. At their heart, Hempy Buckets are a very very simple design that blends hydroponics and soil growing. To make a Hempy Bucket you just have to take any bucket-shaped container, drill a 1/2 inch of better hole a few inches from the bottom and presto, you have a Hempy Bucket. The rest is how its used:
|Basic Hempy Bucket Design|
To make a Hempy Bucket, get a drill with a half-inch bit and drill the bucket(s) 2 inches from the bottom of the bucket:
|Instruments of destruction|
|Standard 3-gallon buckets|
|Drill your hole here|
The idea is you have the bucket with the hole a few inches up. Depending on the bucket size that means that bucket will hold between a half and a gallon and a half of nutrients. Into the bottom of this you fill with perlite, hydroton, rocks, anything that features good drainage. Fill to just cover the hole.
|Add drainage up to the hole|
Then you fill the rest of the bucket with your favorite soil mix. Me, I used hydroton in the bottoms and made a 75/25 mix of coco coir and perlite.
|My soilmix, 75% coir, 25% Perlite|
|Finish buckets with soilmix|
Once these buckets are set up like this, set them in a dish large enough to catch the runoff.
Finally transplant your plant(s).
|Move to grow tent, transplant seedlings and add nutrients|
Add nutrients until they start to flow from the hole. Your Hempy Buckets are done and need to be filled about once or twice a week during veg, moreso in bloom. This is how my grow(s) will finish. Easy to make, simple to set up and so simple to fix. Not as automated as I like but it more than makes up for that with certain features that protect the plants, in this case from my dementia.
I ran out of coir before finishing so will do remaining plants tomorrow. Bonus is now my wife can help more...
Had six more to rescue from problems plus four crappy seedlings. Now that the basic Hempy is up and running, its time for version 2.0; that is just how it is around here. So applying what we know helps plants grow, I introduced air into the setup at the same time hacking up a feeding tube out of some spare PVC:
This I will set up in the Hempy buckets as I am adding the rest of the mix, finally plugging them into Big Mo' my industrial 8-port airpump:
So now my whole setup is converted to Hempy buckets; I have air-rigs set up for the first four but I need more of "me" than I had left over today...LBD sucks sometimes...
Anyhow I made a quickie video of the new and improved Hempy 2.0...\\